Monday, January 27, 2014

Gymnastics Years

I started gymnastics when I was about 2 years old. My mother put me into it because i was always climbing around on things and was always the adventurous kind of kid. She put me into classes there that were just for fun but still taught you tumbling and things.  I was the kind of kid who hated to wear leotards and always wanted to just wear shorts and a tshirt but being in gymnastics they told you to wear a leo every single practice.  Eventually i got used to that and put up with it. I made many friends in gymnastics and loved going to every practice/meet. Since I was so little we only went to the little meets in town but i was too small to know that there was anything better. I went to a few gymnastics meet and got 1st at every meet/event. I was always super excited because I got a trophy and metal from each one.  That meant the world to a child so small and Innocent.  I eventually started getting good at it and making improvements every time i would go in. The first easy skills are called a cartwheel, round-off, back walkover, front walkover, forward roll, backwards roll, etc. I mastered those skills and moved onto the bigger skills like back handsprings and front handsprings. I got my back handspring when I was about 4 years old and fronthandsprings not long after. Getting these skills are the building block to better tumbling of all sorts of kinds! Very exciting as a kid and even as an adult looking back on it now. After being in gymnastics for about 5 years, I got tired of going to practices and bored at that age so I quit and switched to Cheerleading at a gym called "Springfield Elite" at the time. Gymnastics helped me tremendously with tumbling and skills that I eventually carried over into cheerleading which became my life and passion. I still do cheerleading till this day and love it just as much as when I first started at the age of around 7 years old. I'm very blessed that God led me in that direction after gymnastics because its been very helpful. Id say my mother was very smart to put me in gymnastics at that age because I benefited a lot from it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it is great that your mother got you into gymnastics at such a young age. I always wanted to do gymnastics, but when you grow up in a family with five kids and parents who struggle financially, it just isn't in the cards. I remember going to my neighbor's house who was also my babysitter; her daughter was involved in gymnastics. They had mats at their house that they would lay out for us. I loved practicing my cartwheel, forward and backward rolls, and back bends. I think that is pretty much where I peaked.

    I also believe that God leads us in the direction we are intended to go. I believe he has our lives planned out, we just need to get out of his way, allow him to be our center, and guide us on our journey.

    Thanks for posting this! It brought back some fond memories!

    ReplyDelete